Say if you meet a musician...

Go down 
AuthorMessage
lobof_124
Admin
Admin
lobof_124

Say if you meet a musician... Empty
PostSubject: Say if you meet a musician...   Say if you meet a musician... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 5:18 pm

...whose material you have been a fan of for awhile. But then they turn out to be this uber asshole once you meet them. Does this person's personality for being a super douche alter your first opinion for their music, in the end?
I always thought people who would COMPLETELY write off any band's music after having a bad encounter with one of their members, was sorta silly. Then having this same situation happen to me recently didn't totally sour my appreciation for their music, but it has somewhat altered how I listen to it now. Is that still sorta silly?

Gangland
Junior Headbanger
Junior Headbanger
Gangland

PostSubject: Re: Say if you meet a musician...   Say if you meet a musician... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 7:14 pm

It would really depend on the circumstance, but all in all probably not. If they were a dick or bitch then I would figure "ok, probably just having an off day" but if said person made an uncalled for personal attack then yeah that might.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
exploding_pool
Headbanger
Headbanger
exploding_pool

PostSubject: Re: Say if you meet a musician...   Say if you meet a musician... Icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2012 9:33 pm

It kinda depends on who it was and my attachment level to them. Plus also my expectations. Say for example I met Morrissey...I love Morrissey, and have been a massive fan of his work since probably my freshman year of high school or so. But I also kind of expect him to be a douchebag, that's just the reputation he has. Most of the other musicians I'm really interested in I think I would be willing to forgive if they were jerks; it would probably affect my opinion of them personally (ie: "Wow, I always thought this guy was supposed to be nice, I can't believe he treated me like that. I don't like him as much anymore.") but I would still enjoy the band as a whole.

Any musician I wasn't already really attached to I think wouldn't affect me at all, really. Like if I were to meet Gene Hoglan or something...great drummer, and I like his work, but I can't really say I'm a fan of him as a person just because my interest level isn't that deep. If he were a jerk, I probably wouldn't give it a second thought really. And honestly, I'm really bad with remembering names of band members, so I might not even know who it was I was meeting. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
McG0reson
Rookie
Rookie
McG0reson

PostSubject: Re: Say if you meet a musician...   Say if you meet a musician... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 1:36 pm

I agree that it's pretty silly, but I had that happen with Nile a few years ago. Carl Sanders was a complete cock when I met him, and I got pissed and didn't listen to them for awhile xD I'm alright with them now though, but it did leave a sour taste in my mouth for a bit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Premonition666
Premonition666

PostSubject: Re: Say if you meet a musician...   Say if you meet a musician... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 6:21 pm

this happened to by buddy AJ, I thought it was fucking hilarious

Quote :
After the Calgary, Alberta DEICIDE show, Thursday March 15 at The Republik, singer GLEN BENTON came outside to 17th Avenue SW where he was met by fans looking to shake his hand.

When Benton came upon REVEREND KILL bass player A.J. KOVAR, Benton turned and said, in earshot of the small group standing there, “I ain’t shaking no attractive and successful African-American’s hand”. Shocked were KOVAR, KIEFER MURPHY from Medicine Hat, Alberta band TED BUNDY, and local fan Spencer Kraft.

KOVAR, who is black, stated “Metal isn’t supposed to have colors or classes. This was bullshit.”

I was at that show. Benton seemed grumpier than usual but that is no way to treat anyone, especially a fan and a fellow Death Metal musician.

Gangland
Junior Headbanger
Junior Headbanger
Gangland

PostSubject: Re: Say if you meet a musician...   Say if you meet a musician... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 12:33 am

Premonition666 wrote:
this happened to by buddy AJ, I thought it was fucking hilarious

Quote :
After the Calgary, Alberta DEICIDE show, Thursday March 15 at The Republik, singer GLEN BENTON came outside to 17th Avenue SW where he was met by fans looking to shake his hand.

When Benton came upon REVEREND KILL bass player A.J. KOVAR, Benton turned and said, in earshot of the small group standing there, “I ain’t shaking no attractive and successful African-American’s hand”. Shocked were KOVAR, KIEFER MURPHY from Medicine Hat, Alberta band TED BUNDY, and local fan Spencer Kraft.

KOVAR, who is black, stated “Metal isn’t supposed to have colors or classes. This was bullshit.”

I was at that show. Benton seemed grumpier than usual but that is no way to treat anyone, especially a fan and a fellow Death Metal musician.

Premo wins the internet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
R'lyeh Liberation Front
Junior Headbanger
Junior Headbanger
R'lyeh Liberation Front

PostSubject: Re: Say if you meet a musician...   Say if you meet a musician... Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 10:08 am

Depends on the band, how much I enjoy their music, what the transgression was, etc.

As a general rule, no, I could care less. I've met plenty of douchebags over the years. There's some bands that just went above and beyond the call of duty though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lobof_124
Admin
Admin
lobof_124

PostSubject: Re: Say if you meet a musician...   Say if you meet a musician... Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 9:38 pm

There are a couple of people who are well known at least on some sort in this "underground" (not only local), whom I have great respect towards to the music, as I actually enjoy their material, rather than just mindlessly give my time away to hear them because I "know" them. Anyways, I guess they are known to be assholes when drunk, and one of them - whom I used to hang out with awhile back as well - directly insulted me during Rites of Darkness. Given I am NOT a complete metal expert, and have been nothing but nice and respectful towards him and his band/project, plus actually appreciating his shit, it was nothing but childish and insulting to say the least. The other guy basically insulted my friend while selling merch in front of me, saying how we don't "support the scene"... well, when drama like that happens, who would want to? :/ It tears me inside, because I HAD sincere admiration until they pull off high school shit on me. I like having friends to share common interests in, but there are times where I literally feel like a loner amongst loners in this community. Nowadays, I don't bother much with the local drama, just enjoying the music from the start like I usually do. Abbath

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Say if you meet a musician...   Say if you meet a musician... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Say if you meet a musician...
Page 1 of 1