Share | 

Cassettes!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
exploding_pool
Headbanger
Headbanger

PostSubject: Cassettes!   Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:15 pm

I recently decided there's no reason for me not to get a few really awesome metal tapes. I have an old boombox with a cassette player and my car is old enough to have a built in cassette player, plus I could probably find a portable one for super cheap. Not to mention most of what I'm into can or has been printed on tapes. So I'm kind of clueless about where to start.

First of all, most of what I'm finding is so obscure that I can't even find a sample to listen to before I buy it. Any suggestions on really awesome tapes you guys have stumbled upon? You sort of know what I like...repetitive, hypnotic, atmospheric BM, slow, doomy, old-school DM, etc. Basically anything evil as fuck is good. Any classic albums sound better on tape than CD?

Second of all, anything I should know about taking care of them? I used to have cassettes when I was younger and I vaguely remember accidentally pulling out the tape on a couple of them; some could be salvaged, some couldn't. I don't know if this was just a case of being young and dumb or not taking proper care of them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gangland
Junior Headbanger
Junior Headbanger

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes!   Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:36 pm

I really don't like the format. I prefer vinyl. I only get tape if its the only format something is available in, other wise I go CD or vinyl.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
exploding_pool
Headbanger
Headbanger

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes!   Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:46 pm

I know what you mean, I remember it being kind of clunky. I do kind of like the retro feel of them though. I ended up ordering a Living Decay and Void Meditation Ritual tape and got one in the mail today, haven't had time to listen to it. I'm mostly just using it as a cheap, more practical alternative to vinyl for the moment. I like the fact that for $5, I can get something equally as obscure/limited as a record might be, and it's a lot more convenient for me right now.

I've really been considering making the jump to vinyl in the near future though. I sort of lost interest in music for a while and went off to pursue other interests, hence why I was MIA on most of the forums I frequent. Now I'm getting back into it and I'm making decent money, so it makes sense. Got to save up for a little while longer though, if I'm getting a record player, I want it to not be a piece of shit, preferably...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sunnportal
Junior Headbanger
Junior Headbanger

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes!   Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:28 pm

A heap of Abysmal Sounds Records demos are released on cassette. Their whole roster is pretty much mandatory and DDR stocks them.

http://www.metal-archives.com/labels/Abysmal_Sounds/1822

Maybe you are looking for full lengths though?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
exploding_pool
Headbanger
Headbanger

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes!   Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:38 pm

Don't really care, just interested in a new format and have no idea what good things to pick up might be. Like I said, a lot of what I'm finding for sale on various distros is limited to like 50 copies or something crazy, and are therefore so obscure, it's hard to find a sample or even a description of the bands. Of the bands you linked, I really liked Innsmouth and Grave Upheaval. Headbang
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sunnportal
Junior Headbanger
Junior Headbanger

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes!   Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:02 pm

exploding_pool wrote:
Don't really care, just interested in a new format and have no idea what good things to pick up might be. Like I said, a lot of what I'm finding for sale on various distros is limited to like 50 copies or something crazy, and are therefore so obscure, it's hard to find a sample or even a description of the bands. Of the bands you linked, I really liked Innsmouth and Grave Upheaval. Headbang

Innsmouth are awesome because they sound like old Greek death metal.

Grave Upheaval are one of the best examples of "dark death metal" in recent years.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes!   

Back to top Go down

Cassettes!
Page 1 of 1