Shadowed Regions Metal Forums

HomeFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

I am FINALLY listening to this after so long.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
lobof_124
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: I am FINALLY listening to this after so long.    Thu May 03, 2012 11:36 pm

I honestly can't believe that I hated Venom years back... they sound better to my unholy ears now than back then. Of course, I was a dumb high school kid 4 years ago, but I always liked BATHORY over these guys when it came to to the classic BM "originators". wtf, even I didn't really "get" Mercyful Fate/King Diamond until a few months ago... I missed out BIG time! No Crying or Very sad No Crying or Very sad

Have any bands you liked after ignoring for a long while?

exploding_pool
Headbanger
Headbanger

PostSubject: Re: I am FINALLY listening to this after so long.    Sun May 06, 2012 10:53 pm

Ironically, I'm the complete opposite of you, I always kind of enjoyed Venom but never really got into Bathory. I just tried to listen to Bathory a couple weeks ago again, and am still not really into it at all. The biggest fault with Venom I think is the fact that they seem to try to cram too much melody into their music; if they stuck with the whole chaotic, punk-ness they do really well, I'd love them. There still seems to be some residual "we need catchy parts" attitude of 70's metal. I would have really liked them to just go balls out with the chaos and evil and just forget about the catchy choruses and shit, it doesn't go with their overall attitude at all.

I've noticed that most bands I ignore or judge harshly early on, I end up loving. I hate to be lame with this thread, but AFI is a really incredible example. I first heard them in a Tony Hawk soundtrack (it was "The Boy Who Destroyed the World," from the phenomenal All Hallow's EP) and thought that song was awesome, it actually came to be my favorite song on the whole game's soundtrack. I sort of forgot them for a couple years, and when I first heard one of their newer songs from Sing the Sorrow, I thought it was horrible...saw the video, thought they looked like fags (I must admit I still think this)...bought the album, thought they seemed pretentious. Somewhere along the line, they completely grew on me. I now own all their full lengths, even the newer ones that suck, and a few of their EPs. And now here I sit contemplating re-buying their entire discography on vinyl just because I can. It's funny how this all worked out. At the risk of sounding like even more of a fag, The Smiths are another fine example. I'd heard various bands I liked adoring them for years, but just never got around to listening to them. One day I found a compilation album of theirs in a music store and bought it on a whim, and the rest is history.

On a less gay note, I've become a lot more tolerant to 70's/80's metal. I still think 90% of what, say, Judas Priest has released is utterly ridiculous, with the exception of a few songs here and there. But I'm starting to take things less seriously lately and am able to enjoy it all slightly more...slightly. With Black Sabbath, I always maintained for years that the Dio years sucked and would only listen to the first couple Ozzy albums (because everyone knows the later ones sucked also). Somewhere along the way, I realized Dio doesn't suck as much as I thought he did, and grew to enjoy most of what he had done in his career.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lobof_124
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: I am FINALLY listening to this after so long.    Sun May 06, 2012 11:10 pm

I finally truly appreciated Heavy Metal as its own genre after a long while of it being "in the background" when I was a kid. I guess I wasn't too much a fan of it back then like I am now. Hence the glam metal and stuff. The problem I had with Venom is just that I always thought they just kinda still went with the NWOBHM thing, but just throwing in "satanic imagery" for shock value, whereas with BATHORY I felt that they truly represented the real BM sound with Quorthon's witchlike vocals and that awesomely RAW production of their debut.

ALOT of bands that I couldn't get into back then, I mostly liked now. I've always pushed King Diamond/Mercyful Fate away, along with Venom for so long, but am really glad to go back to them and appreciate them like I do with the rest of my favorite bands. Twisted Evil

exploding_pool
Headbanger
Headbanger

PostSubject: Re: I am FINALLY listening to this after so long.    Mon May 07, 2012 12:09 pm

Venom are usually categorized as NWOBHM (which I pretty much hate, despite many attempts to get into), but they never really fit in, I thought. I'm not sure why people lump them in there. They're pretty much proto-black metal, but I guess at the time there weren't many other extreme bands playing in that style, so it was hard to give them their own separate genre. Bathory seems like the kind of band I would like; on paper, or screen as the case may be, they're exactly what I like to hear, but it just doesn't come together for me.

Now that you mention it, Mercyful Fate is another example of a band I once blew off because they didn't seem to be my type. I finally did listen to them a couple years ago and surprisingly liked what I heard, even though I was right about it not being my usual preferred genre. Laughing

I also used to hate Anaal Nathrakh, now that I think about it. I remember Krutiis mentioning them once (I miss Krutiis Sad ) so I downloaded one of their songs and was appalled by what I heard, I couldn't even make it 30 seconds into it. I revisited them a while later and suddenly loved it. They're now loved enough for their logo to be my sig.

And as I'm posting this, I'm listening to Rainbow, which I never in a million years thought I would. The name alone just oozed gayness, and I see now how wrong I was. "Stargazer" = Headbang
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gangland
Junior Headbanger
Junior Headbanger

PostSubject: Re: I am FINALLY listening to this after so long.    Mon May 07, 2012 11:49 pm

Rainbows use to be masculine till gays adopted it as their symbol or what have you (In Viking mythology you must cross a rainbow bridge to get to Valhalla). But AAAAAANYWAY;

I always liked Venom. They were one of the first bands I got into when I was first getting into Metal (about 6th or 7th grade). Welcome To Hell was my fucking album for a good 3 years, and I still hold it dearly to my black non existent heart today. I got it as my pack patch to my jacket! Plus it got me through A LOT of shitty catholic masses (use to go to a fucking catholic school so church twice a god damn week. If I didn't sneak my CD player in I'd be in a mental institution right now).

I didn't like Mercyful Fate at first. I got Don't Break The Oath from my dad because I got an A on a test or some shit, and I gave it a few spins and I just couldn't get into it. Then I heard "Come To The Sabbath" on the radio and I dropped my jaw in awe and when I heard that the band was Mercyful Fate I grabbed my CD to see if that track was on there and the next day and school I spent the entire time listening to it and I begged forgiveness to the Metal gods for casting doubt!

I never liked Dopethrone at first, and eventually it grew a little on me but I just never got it. Then I sat in my room, high as fuck, playing Dopethrone loud as fuck and I got it.

Probably some other shit I'm forgetting but thats all I can think of for now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vindicated_Killer
Junior Headbanger
Junior Headbanger

PostSubject: Re: I am FINALLY listening to this after so long.    Tue May 08, 2012 3:24 pm

Judas Priest's early work rules. It's their latter output that is utterly ridiculous, Heather. I still love the shit out of albums like Hellbent for Leather, Screaming for Vengeance, Defenders of the Faith, British Steel, etc. Yeah, there are cheesy power ballads and a lot of 70s rock stylings, but it's good shit. Dio also rules, but I prefer his solo work as opposed to his work with Sabbath.

Also, Bathory >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Venom

Back to top Go down
View user profile
exploding_pool
Headbanger
Headbanger

PostSubject: Re: I am FINALLY listening to this after so long.    Tue May 08, 2012 4:34 pm

^ My favorite JP album is without a doubt Painkiller. The rest of it is just either too ridiculous or boring to me. I like a few other songs here and there, but for the most part, when I sit down to listen to them, I'm rolling my eyes almost nonstop.

EDIT: Also, I just listened to Budgie last night for the first time in years. I figured since I've started to like Rush, maybe I could tolerate them more than I used to be able to...I was right. I probably spent about an hour last night listening to various Budgie songs and thoroughly enjoying them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lobof_124
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: I am FINALLY listening to this after so long.    Tue May 08, 2012 6:26 pm

exploding_pool wrote:
EDIT: Also, I just listened to Budgie last night for the first time in years. I figured since I've started to like Rush, maybe I could tolerate them more than I used to be able to...I was right. I probably spent about an hour last night listening to various Budgie songs and thoroughly enjoying them.
Shocked One of my favorites! I still wonder how they could manage to just drop everything from a beautiful country like Wales, to live here in a city like this...

I've been WAY overdue on D.R.I., and felt the urge to actually check them out recently. I'm liking what I've heard so far from various links from other metal buddies, moreso from "Crossover". Headbang

Sunnportal
Junior Headbanger
Junior Headbanger

PostSubject: Re: I am FINALLY listening to this after so long.    Wed May 09, 2012 12:06 am

exploding_pool wrote:
^ My favorite JP album is without a doubt Painkiller. The rest of it is just either too ridiculous or boring to me. I like a few other songs here and there, but for the most part, when I sit down to listen to them, I'm rolling my eyes almost nonstop.

Have you heard Unleashed In The East? Amazing versions on that album.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sunnportal
Junior Headbanger
Junior Headbanger

PostSubject: Re: I am FINALLY listening to this after so long.    Wed May 09, 2012 12:12 am

Seriously you women are mental. How can you like Venom and not Bathory and vice versa?

The Bathory debut and the first two Venom albums are practically the same.

Also Heather, Blood Fire Death!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
exploding_pool
Headbanger
Headbanger

PostSubject: Re: I am FINALLY listening to this after so long.    Wed May 09, 2012 6:09 pm

^ I wouldn't exactly say I'm a huge fan of Venom. I enjoy them if I happen to hear one of their songs, but overall they're still too thrashy for my taste. I don't really go seeking them out and singing their praises. It's kind of the same with Bathory, don't really feel too strongly one way or the other.

And no I haven't heard Unleashed in the East. I might have heard a song or two off it, but not the whole thing. Again, a band that I don't exactly seek out. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gangland
Junior Headbanger
Junior Headbanger

PostSubject: Re: I am FINALLY listening to this after so long.    Mon May 14, 2012 12:34 am

Venom >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bathory
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I am FINALLY listening to this after so long.    

Back to top Go down

I am FINALLY listening to this after so long.
Page 1 of 1