Share | 

Best music store finds

Go down 
AuthorMessage
exploding_pool
Headbanger
Headbanger

PostSubject: Best music store finds   Wed May 09, 2012 6:22 pm

I keep going into our awful little FYE occasionally, despite knowing it's terrible, because sometimes I find really cool stuff in there, usually in the used section. I'm kind of addicted to the rush of searching through the aisles of music and sometimes scoring a really good deal on something you didn't expect to see.

Probably the biggest shock was finding a used copy of Sargeist's "Satanic Black Devotion." As awesome as Sargeist are, and for the price they had it at (I think it was $8 ), I just had to pick it up. I've also seen Darkthrone's "Frostland Tapes" in there, but it was kind of overpriced for someone who doesn't really like Darkthrone that much. Still, neat to see in there. Occasionally, they'll get a random Nattefrost album too, but again, don't care for them too much.

One of the biggest shocks I've ever gotten while browsing for music was finding Nile's "Annihilation of the Wicked" in Walmart once. I don't even understand. It wasn't even new, I think I bought this maybe in 2008 or 2009, so it had been out for a couple years. There was of course, no Nile section in Walmart, and there was only one copy, so it was just haphazardly thrown somewhere. I think it was maybe $9. Weirdest find ever.

Am I the only one probably wasting tons of hours doing this for rewards that are very few and far between? Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lobof_124
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Best music store finds   Wed May 09, 2012 10:54 pm

My CD collection is mostly comprised of used shit from this local music chain store named CD Exchange... Don't know how people would have the thought of giving away/selling some of these GREAT albums, but I'm sure they had their reasons. Oh wellz, they're mine now! Hehehe!! Wink

You all know about this, got it for 9 dollars! This is the CD-DVD edition with the "making" of the album.

This made me really happy when I saw it. 8 dollars!

I liked their debut, but didn't know their other stuff besides it. Roommate loved his copy, and convinced me to fork up the 10 dollars for the CD. Fell in love instantly upon first listen. I love you

DOUBLE WHAMMY! Both were 10 dollars, I think. (My CD was the second pressing, right side.)

The shocker of them all was...
4 DOLLARS FOR THIS! Shocked It was stuck in the store for a year since it was on the shelf. I didn't know them as well, but my roommate INSISTED that I get it at that moment. I'm glad to listen to him at that time. It's now one of my favorite BM albums. Abbath

iwillstabyou
Junior Headbanger
Junior Headbanger

PostSubject: Re: Best music store finds   Thu May 10, 2012 3:26 pm

exploding_pool wrote:
I'm kind of addicted to the rush of searching through the aisles of music and sometimes scoring a really good deal on something you didn't expect to see.
I'm the same way. Its like Christmas morning every time I find something.

exploding_pool wrote:
Am I the only one probably wasting tons of hours doing this for rewards that are very few and far between? Laughing
I do this all the time. Rarely find anything, but I love searching just because the possibility of a great find is there.

I bought Cannibal Corpse "Kill" at Wal-Mart when it came out.

There is a used CD/DVD/Game place called Buybacks near me that I go to once in a while and I've found some crazy shit there. Bought Leviathan "Tentacles of Whorror" there some years back. Among other finds, I've seen the misprinted red pressing of Emperor/Enslaved "Hordanes Land" there, as well as an original pressing of Demilich "Nespithe".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
exploding_pool
Headbanger
Headbanger

PostSubject: Re: Best music store finds   Thu May 10, 2012 9:25 pm

iwillstabyou wrote:
an original pressing of Demilich "Nespithe".
Shocked Please tell me you bought it...and would be willing to give it to me.

Cool

Also Leanne: I'm not the biggest fan of Ulver (my favorite album of theirs is the totally non-metal "Perdition City") but for $4, you can't pass that up.

I haven't been in our FYE for a while (I wish we had some independent music stores nearby) but the last time I was there, it looked like someone dumped their entire Behemoth collection in there. They had "Grom", "Thelema.6", "The Apostasy", and "Evangelion" all used, all stacked together. They were all pretty overpriced, but for someone who really liked Behemoth, that would be a great find. If they would have had "Demigod", I probably would have picked it up. I haven't found any really good finds in our local thrift stores (one good thing about living in the middle of nowhere is we have a ton of yard sales and thrift stores) that appealed to me, or that I recognized as a winner. I found a Lionel Richie album that looked to be from the 80's and was in near mint condition for $.99, though, that'd be an awesome find if I gave a shit about Lionel Richie...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sunnportal
Junior Headbanger
Junior Headbanger

PostSubject: Re: Best music store finds   Thu May 10, 2012 9:38 pm

Leanne, $10 is a pretty standard price for Immortal CD's.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
exploding_pool
Headbanger
Headbanger

PostSubject: Re: Best music store finds   Thu May 10, 2012 9:50 pm

^ Part of the fun is not necessarily getting a good deal, but just finding things you would never expect a store that doesn't specialize in metal to carry. tongue
Back to top Go down
View user profile
iwillstabyou
Junior Headbanger
Junior Headbanger

PostSubject: Re: Best music store finds   Fri May 11, 2012 3:46 pm

exploding_pool wrote:
iwillstabyou wrote:
Didn't have the money for it Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lobof_124
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Best music store finds   Fri May 11, 2012 4:34 pm

iwillstabyou wrote:
exploding_pool wrote:
iwillstabyou wrote:

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!! Shocked
Shoot Shoot Shoot Shoot Shoot Shoot Shoot Shoot Shoot Shoot Shoot Shoot Shoot Shoot Shoot Shoot Shoot Shoot Shoot Shoot Shoot

Gangland
Junior Headbanger
Junior Headbanger

PostSubject: Re: Best music store finds   Mon May 14, 2012 12:37 am

Hallows Eve "History Of Terror" boxset for 10 bucks.Blind purchase and I have never regretted it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sunnportal
Junior Headbanger
Junior Headbanger

PostSubject: Re: Best music store finds   Mon May 14, 2012 8:10 am

Gangland wrote:
Hallows Eve "History Of Terror" boxset for 10 bucks.Blind purchase and I have never regretted it.

Can't argue with a box set for $10 that's for sure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
iwillstabyou
Junior Headbanger
Junior Headbanger

PostSubject: Re: Best music store finds   Mon May 14, 2012 3:05 pm

lobof_124 wrote:
iwillstabyou wrote:
exploding_pool wrote:
iwillstabyou wrote:

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!! Shocked
Shoot Shoot Shoot Shoot Shoot Shoot Shoot Shoot Shoot Shoot Shoot Shoot Shoot Shoot Shoot Shoot Shoot Shoot Shoot Shoot Shoot
Just because they had it and it was used doesn't mean it was cheap. The store knew what it was and priced it accordingly. I was not about to drop the money for it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lobof_124
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Best music store finds   Mon May 14, 2012 5:08 pm

iwillstabyou wrote:
Just because they had it and it was used doesn't mean it was cheap. The store knew what it was and priced it accordingly. I was not about to drop the money for it.

Yeah, you're right. Crying or Very sad Had a situation which I was debating to get one of ANNIHILATOR's albums for a hefty price, but that's the only time I had a run in with an album that was pricey. And that CD was somewhat decent, from what I've heard.

exploding_pool
Headbanger
Headbanger

PostSubject: Re: Best music store finds   Mon May 14, 2012 9:28 pm

iwillstabyou wrote:
In my experience, music stores around here are generally pretty clueless. I've seen lots of used stuff at a steal, I'm just usually not interested in them enough to buy them. I once saw a dirt cheap used copy of Cannibal Holocaust in FYE, but that's one of the few horror movies I don't think I would have the stomach for (I'm a pussy when it comes to animal violence). Still, it was way cheaper than it would normally go for anywhere else.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hades
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Best music store finds   Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:10 pm

There is a really cool FYE in Salt Lake City (the mormon capitial not less) that I've found some good stuff in.

(to my knowledge this is a first press)

Then there is one music store in Wyoming that had this used. The guy said that someone had just dropped it off and I picked it up shortly after.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scabby Man

PostSubject: Re: Best music store finds   Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:06 pm

It's always worth the search if you can find something great in seemingly barren places, IE: thrift shops in the middle of bumfuck, nowhere.

I'm pretty lucky to have a quality independent shop in town that has a great selection for underground metal. I'm never shocked to find anything there, but I know if that places closes, I'm fucked. There's another store not far from there that isn't nearly as good for metal but occasionally you'll find some gems. I remember seeing the 1st Carnivore album for $5 a few years back, needless to say I was overjoyed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lobof_124
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Best music store finds   Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:57 pm

Many book shops carry some noteworthy vinyl as well. Earlier, I was sitting in the car while my roommate was looking for a book when he noticed this gem lying around for 15 bucks! BASTURDO!!!!!!

Shoot

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best music store finds   

Back to top Go down

Best music store finds
Page 1 of 1