Shadowed Regions Metal Forums

HomeFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Where do you buy?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
BlastTyrant

PostSubject: Where do you buy?   Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:48 pm

I've been looking for good places online to buy music and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I'd be interested in knowing where everyone else does they music shopping.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
exploding_pool
Headbanger
Headbanger

PostSubject: Re: Where do you buy?   Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:16 pm

On the rare occasions that I do go music shopping ( Crying or Very sad ), I like buying new from distros mostly. I don't know how I lived without them a few years ago. If I'm hoping to score something rare/cheap and don't care about it's condition, then it's eBay all the way. Some places I like:

Relapse Records - I'm in PA not too far from where they're based, so I can usually get my order in just a couple days. Plus they have a lot of good sales and a huge selection. Problems are with stocking (they're almost always sold out of at least a few things I want) and shipping costs, which can be pretty outrageous compared to some other places. But for speed and the sales, I like to use them; sometimes they'll give out free bonus stuff too, I got a DVD of music videos from them once. http://www.relapse.com/index2.aspx

Hell's Headbangers - Awesome place. They aren't stingy about giving away free stickers/sample CD's, either, I think every order comes with one or the other (or sometimes both). Great selection, fair prices, and they package their stuff really well. The only issue I've had with them is that I once ordered something that was supposed to be the first pressing and I wound up getting the second pressing; it wasn't a big deal, but if you're picky about that stuff, I don't know how often it happens. http://shop-hellsheadbangers.com/Metal_CDs_black_death_thrash_grind_heavy_doom.asp

Dark Horizon Records - These guys do tons of great sales. Right now, it's 40% off everything for the next few days. If you wait another month or so, they'll probably do another big sale. Really good prices too. But they take FOREVER to ship out orders; apparently, it's a little place that gets overrun with orders easily so this tends to happen to them a lot. But I got a couple good deals from them, if you don't mind the month long wait. http://www.darkhorizon666.com/DarkHorizonNewFrames
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sunnportal
Junior Headbanger
Junior Headbanger

PostSubject: Re: Where do you buy?   Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:41 pm

I did a order with Dark Horizon once went well.

I've never used Hells Headbangers, but apparently they are the best in the world for mailorders.

Moribund Records is super i've used them twice. I think they still have a sale on? Be quick.

NWN! is a excellent label i've used twice with no problems. They put out some amazing releases too http://www.nwnprod.com/

Other than that i use Aussie labels for obvious reasons. Don't know if there is much point listing them here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Xavier
Junior Headbanger
Junior Headbanger

PostSubject: Re: Where do you buy?   Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:44 pm

Hells Headbangers, Profound Lore, NWN, and CD Universe are the distros I've used in the past... all were great, no complaints.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://xaviersthrone.blogspot.ca/
DapperDan
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Where do you buy?   Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:21 pm

It really depends on what you're looking for. Every distro mentioned already are great.

Despite their quirkiness as a label, www.theendrecords.com is still one of the most professional online distros out there.

www.redstream.org has been one of the most steadfast and reliable online distros ever. You'll never be done wrong by them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.metalpsalter.com
R'lyeh Liberation Front
Junior Headbanger
Junior Headbanger

PostSubject: Re: Where do you buy?   Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:20 pm

My main 3 are:

Nuclear War Now!
Hell's Headbangers
Dark Descent

I've also used the following quite a bit:
Dark Horizons
Necroharmonic
Bird of Ill Omen
Chalice of the Blood Angel
Emptiness
No Posers Please
Israhellbanger
Relapse
Morbund Cult
Old Cemetery
Primitive Recordings
Ars Magna
The Basar North America
Redrum

The following are rips offs:
Shivarage
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Samcanadian

PostSubject: Re: Where do you buy?   Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:44 pm

DapperDan wrote:
It really depends on what you're looking for. Every distro mentioned already are great.

Despite their quirkiness as a label, www.theendrecords.com is still one of the most professional online distros out there.

www.redstream.org has been one of the most steadfast and reliable online distros ever. You'll never be done wrong by them.

I buy most of my stuff from The End.

They used to have an insane selection, but just in the last year or so they've taken forever to restock titles, etc, and their delivery has gotten slower (To Canada, anyway). It used to be that I'd order on Monday and receive my stuff on thursday or friday. Now I'm waiting at least a week.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
R'lyeh Liberation Front
Junior Headbanger
Junior Headbanger

PostSubject: Re: Where do you buy?   Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:00 pm

The End is AWFUL.

It's overpriced, and impossible to navigate. They've always had the problem of being out of stock on most of the titles that aren't worthless. Truly an avoidable distro.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Samcanadian

PostSubject: Re: Where do you buy?   Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:12 pm

R'lyeh Liberation Front wrote:
The End is AWFUL.

It's overpriced, and impossible to navigate. They've always had the problem of being out of stock on most of the titles that aren't worthless. Truly an avoidable distro.

Well when the fail albums you buy are all $2.00 each then I can imagine that selling them for $5.00 would seem like a ripoff.

Seriously though, they used to have good prices for anything I'd buy. Always saving at least $5-10.00 off of what you'd buy them for in a music store at the mall, plus you'd get a flat shipping rate which was awesome.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
R'lyeh Liberation Front
Junior Headbanger
Junior Headbanger

PostSubject: Re: Where do you buy?   Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:15 pm

Samcanadian wrote:
The End is AWFUL.

Well when the fail albums you buy are all $2.00 each then I can imagine that selling them for $5.00 would seem like a ripoff.

Seriously though, they used to have good prices for anything I'd buy. Always saving at least $5-10.00 off of what you'd buy them for in a music store at the mall, plus you'd get a flat shipping rate which was awesome.

Do you ever not come off like a complete fucking asshole?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lobof_124
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Where do you buy?   Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:53 pm

Yeah...

That's just Sam for ya. Neutral

You'll get used to it, I hope. Embarassed

R'lyeh Liberation Front
Junior Headbanger
Junior Headbanger

PostSubject: Re: Where do you buy?   Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:29 pm

lobof_124 wrote:

Yeah...

That's just Sam for ya. Neutral

You'll get used to it, I hope. Embarassed

E-shticks are for children. While I might get used to it, I'm not going to call him out for acting like an asshole any less...I just don't have any desire to deal with sort of useless posting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DapperDan
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Where do you buy?   Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:30 am

The End is AWFUL.

How long have you been ordering from them? I hate that I'm actually in a position to defend them because they're really a shell of what they used to be, but they're still really good.

If your main complaint is about the "out of stock" stuff, then I understand the frustration. They really shouldn't even keep an album up if they don't have it and they didn't use to do that. They fool people with that "pre order" nonsense. All that means is that they have a quota for an album and if enough people add it to their cart for "pre order", then they'll order a stock of them, but not until and who knows what that number is.

Are they expensive? Yeah, a little, but they have a free shipping option. It's slow, but it's there. NWN! charges an insane amount for shipping now. They didn't use to, but their cds are cheap. Pick your poison.

Impossible to navigate? How so? Seems like one of the easier sites to deal with for me. They've spent a lot of time on it. Did you ever order from Dark Symphonies several years ago? That was a disorganized and dysfunctional mess of a distro.
Back to top Go down
R'lyeh Liberation Front
Junior Headbanger
Junior Headbanger

PostSubject: Re: Where do you buy?   Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:50 am

I've used them for several years, though very infrequently lately. They used to be very good.

NWN charges a ton for shipping, but he packs very well, and the orders get to where they are going quick.

I find the site impossible to navigate because they have too much stuff, and a vast majority of it is stuff I couldn't care less about. It's just overwhelming in a bad way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DapperDan
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Where do you buy?   Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:05 am

I've used them for several years, though very infrequently lately. They used to be very good.

NWN charges a ton for shipping, but he packs very well, and the orders get to where they are going quick.

I find the site impossible to navigate because they have too much stuff, and a vast majority of it is stuff I couldn't care less about. It's just overwhelming in a bad way.
Well, it isn't their fault that they stock a bunch of stuff you don't like. If you know what you're looking for, just use the search. But I guess you'd prefer to browse and sift like in a record store? Hey I do to and I definitely don't even bother with a site like The End if I want to browse. But if I know what I'm after and they have it, they're very reliable.

Don't get me wrong, they used to do some real shady shit in the past and thought their shit didn't stink and for a while, they were as stand-offish as I've ever seen from a retail business, but they've really changed all that.
Back to top Go down
R'lyeh Liberation Front
Junior Headbanger
Junior Headbanger

PostSubject: Re: Where do you buy?   Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:27 am

Yeah, that's exactly what I do with The End now...if I can't find something any other place, I'll check there...sometimes they have it. You used to be able to browse there...but now it's just ridiculous. To be fair I feel the same way about HHR as far as browsing goes...they've just got TOO MUCH STUFF for that to be effective.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
lobof_124
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Where do you buy?   Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:31 pm

Reviving this thread to spread the word about my good friend's record shop. Pretty killer shit is here, and more will soon come. Can't wait to check out Vomit of Doom in a few weeks... Smile

https://www.facebook.com/BlackDeathCovenRecords

Oh, it'd be great to spread this to your contacts as well! Shred

exploding_pool
Headbanger
Headbanger

PostSubject: Re: Where do you buy?   Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:46 am

I thought I'd revive this in case maybe anyone found anywhere else good. I thought of another good site: Armageddon Records. It's run by one of the guys from Dropdead, I think. They're based in Providence, but just opened another store in Boston. I would love to go visit the store in person, but I'll settle for the online store. I've ordered a couple things from there, and while they're slightly more expensive than most distros I've seen, they're basically a giant used record store, meaning you'll occasionally run into some really neat finds. http://www.armageddonshop.com/

Has anybody ever used Crucial Blast? The fact that they're in Hagerstown Maryland (about an hour from me) is so intriguing, and they seem to have a pretty diverse selection. I love how detailed all the band descriptions are too, it gives you a great idea of what to expect.

Is anybody fortunate enough to live near any good record stores, or at least thrift stores? I'm hunting for cool places, but it seems like the closest good stuff is in Baltimore, which is kind of inconvenient. There's some thrift stores around that might be promising. Maybe one of these days I'll make a trek down to Baltimore, stopping in thrift stores along the way. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where do you buy?   

Back to top Go down

Where do you buy?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Shadowed Regions Metal Forums :: Shadowed Regions :: Metal-
Jump to: