Reviews I wrote for Morbid Abominations zine #1

Go down 
AuthorMessage
R'lyeh Liberation Front
Junior Headbanger
Junior Headbanger
R'lyeh Liberation Front

Reviews I wrote for Morbid Abominations zine #1 Empty
PostSubject: Reviews I wrote for Morbid Abominations zine #1   Reviews I wrote for Morbid Abominations zine #1 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 11:08 pm

Voids of Vomit – Veritas Vltmia Vitae CD
Bird of Ill Omen (2010)
Voids of Vomit are one of the new bands carrying the death metal flag of old. They mix catchy, death metal riffing with some excellent vocals that remind me of the first couple Deicide albums. The music sounds equally influenced by early Swedish death metal and the early 90’s US death metal scene, Voids of Vomit themselves, however, are Italian. This was sort of surprising to me, as Italy has some great bands, but not a lot of great death metal. I’ve heard some people complain that this album is too “muddy” and that you can’t hear anything on it, which is total bullshit. The album sounds wonderful to me, everything is audible and decipherable. I’m not going to lie and say that there’s no muddy-ness, but there’s hardly enough to ruin the album. I’d recommend this to fans of early Grave, Gutted, or Miasma. This is a very solid debut EP, and I’m definitely excited to hear what’s next from these guys. - RLF
(http://birdofillomen.com/)

Aborted Christ Childe – S/T tape
Satanic Skinhead Propaganda (2010)
Aborted Christ Childe played a combination of chaotic and lo-fi grindcore mixed with some noise elements. This tape was recorded originally in 1993, and has been long out of print until SSP re-issued it this year. Musically this stuff, like most chaotic noisy music, is an acquired taste. If you see the word grindcore and think of the slick production and sound the modern albums all seem to have, this is going to either scare or annoy the shit out of you. I’m not trying to say that this sounds bad though. The only noticeable issue is that the drums are slightly overpowering in the mix, but not enough to drown anything else out. Like most Satanic Skinhead releases, the packaging is top notch. This tape comes in a nice DVD style case instead of a regular jewel box, and the artwork is great. I’d definitely recommend this to fans of grind, as the music is definitely above average, and for its time was probably pretty impressive and strange even. - RLF
(http://www.satanichatefulwarskin.com)

Pseudogod – Triumphus Serpentis Magni 12”
Arma Diaboli (2010)
This 12” EP is a re-release of the Pseudogod songs from their split with Blaze of Perdition with 2 new tracks. The tracks from the Blaze of Perdition split are great bestial black metal with none of the usual ‘war’ metal trappings, which makes this band great for people who want something bestial, but don’t care for the black/death hybrid found in most bestial stuff. The inclusion of these tracks is also great for me, because I never really got into Blaze of Perdition, so to be able to get the songs without having the get the Blaze of Perdition split is nice. However, it’s really the 2 new tracks that make this album stand out. The first new track is entitled Azazel, and it absolutely crushes. The second is a cover of Beherit’s Gate of Nanna, which they turn into their own beast entirely. The new tracks have a cleaner sounding production than the BoP split tracks as well. I think the cleaner sound really works for Pseudogod, and I hope they continue using it on their upcoming release. Both these new tracks are worth the price of the album alone. I highly recommend this stuff; this will surely be in my top 10 albums of the year. - RLF
(http://armadiaboli.blackterror.org/)

Sadomator – Goatsblood Panspermia 12”
Iron Bonehead (2010)
This band keeps getting better with each release. Sadomator did very little for me before the name change when they were known as Sadogoat. The first album as Sadomator, Sadomatic Goat Cult, was a step in the right direction. Their second offering as Sadomator, Goats Brew Alcolust, was exceptional stuff. Goatsblood Panspermia s great though, it’s easily their best release. Sadomator took the sadogrind torch form Naked Whipper and ran with it, and on this album have created some of the best black/grind ever unleashed. From the reverb drenched vocals to the pounding drums everything on this album is nearly perfect. It’s also incredibly catchy for being so furious and chaotic. If you like black metal on the extreme end of the spectrum, I highly recommend this to you. One of my favorite releases of the year for sure. - RLF
(http://www.ironbonehead.de)

Innsmouth – The Departure of Shub-Niggurath tape
Abysmal Sounds (2009)
I grabbed this tape almost entirely based on the fact that it’s entirely Lovecraft themed. The second I hit play I could tell that the band was from Australia. I don’t know what it is about Australian metal, but you can always tell when something is from that part of the world, no matter what sub-genre it may be. This stuff is death metal with a hint of black metal, but it’s very atypical. A lot of mid-paced chugging riffs, with a great sense of melody layered on top of them. One of the members is also in Sacriphyx, which I guess this sort of reminds me of especially in the way the riffing is layered. I’d recommend this to anyone into death metal or black/death hybrids, as this is probably one of the catchiest and most interesting things I’ve heard in ages. - RLF
(http://abysmalsounds.com)

Pek – Worship and Obey 7”
Chalice of the Blood Angel (2010)
If you’re unfamiliar with Pek, they play blasphemous death metal. I compare them with the early Deicide releases a lot, but this stuff is less unhinged than Legion or Deicide where. They get lumped into the black/death sub-genre a lot because of the aesthetic I assume, but there is very little black metal to be found in their sound. This 7” contains re-recordings of songs from Pek’s demos. The new recordings sound better, but with the vinyl re-issue of Shut Up and Suffer / Vomit Upon the Priest earlier this year, and 3 of the 4 songs being from those demos, I’m not sure how necessary this 7” is. I bought it because I’m a pretty big fan of Pek, but if you’re not a fan, or are just discovering Pek, this can safely be passed on (but if you’re just discovering Pek, I do recommend the vinyl reissue of the demos, and the Preaching Evil LP). I will commend the excellent blasphemous/perverse artwork on this release. - RLF

Hades Archer – Penis Metal 12”
Deathrash Armageddon (2010)
Formed in 2005 by members of Atomic Aggressor and Force of Darkness, Hades Archer plays some savage, raw, black/thrash. There’s little here that hasn't been done before, but the delivery of Hades Archer is of a caliber that is seldom reached. For those of you familiar with the previously mentioned Force of Darkness, this stuff relies much less on elements of traditional thrash, and quite a bit rawer. It's like someone took early Sodom and early Sarcofago and threw it in a blender. I was originally sort of put off by the album title, but when the release is this good, you can call it whatever you want I guess. This is a short one, blazing by in just less than 15 min. 3 of which are spent on a cover of Sodom's Equinox, which is very well done. This is definitely one of the best things to come from South America, a place with a fairly decent amount of good releases. - RLF
(http://www.deathrasharmageddon.com/)

The Wakedead Gathering – Tenements of Ephemera Pro CD-R
Self-released (2010)
This style of dark, doomy, occult death metal has been taking off lately, and I love it. The Wakedead Gathering obviously takes a lot of influence from Incantation, Onward to Golgotha specifically, and they do little to hide to influence. There’s more to this stuff than just being a simple Incantation clone though. It’s got some great sinister sounding guitar that does more than just pummel and suffocate you. This is made even more impressive when you know that everything on this album was done by one guy, Drew Lampe, who to my knowledge has never been involved with any other metal bands. Unfortunately this release was limited to 100 copies, which makes acquiring a copy these days sort of difficult. Skeleton Plague released this on tape though, so there’s always that option for those of you who aren’t analogphobic. Whatever way you managed to get this, I recommend it. I think it’s among the most impressive debut of the year, along with Royal Arch Blaspheme and Von Goat, and certainly the best death metal debut of the year. – RLF
(http://www.myspace.com/thewakedeadgathering)

Mefitic / Necrovomit – Misled Conjuration of Evil 10”
Drakkar Productions (2010)
Italy’s Mefitic play dark, heavy black/death. They’re one of those bands that aren’t trying to reinvent the genre, but instead are focused on delivering a perfected version of what people love about the style. They do a pretty good job of that as well. Their side of this 10” is killer from start to finish. They mix nice mid pace parts with excellent faster blasting parts. They also do a great Demoncy cover on their side. Necrovomit’s side isn’t anywhere near as good as the Mefitic side. I can’t say I disliked Necrovomit at all, but they were overshadowed by the band they share the split with. Musically, Necrovomit play black/death as well, but unlike the evil and heavy style of Mefitic, Necrovomit is going for a faster more old school sound. Necrovomit do have a great vocalist though. I almost wish that this had been a Mefitic 10” and that Necrovomit had released their own album, so I could judge them more impartially, but as it stands, they’re blown away here. This split definitely worth your time, especially for the Mefitic stuff. - RLF
(http://www.drakkar666.com)

Evoke / Mordbrand – split 12”
Me Saco Un Ojo (2010)
I grabbed this split LP entirely for the Evoke side, which is a reissue of their excellent I Am…My Own God demo from 1994. This stuff didn’t disappoint, and was the highlight of the record for me. Evoke’s brand of riff oriented old school death metal is right up my alley, and I think that they are one of the most underrated death metal bands around. Mordbrand did surprise me quite a bit, as I’m not usually a huge fan of new bands attempting the older Swedish sound, and in fact I think Morbider is the only recent band I feel did it with any decent results, and Morbider isn’t even Swedish (they’re a Czech band). Well, Mordbrand can add themselves to that small list as well, because their side of this split was definitely well above average for neo-Swedish death. Mordbrand has a nice crunchy guitar sound and some filthy vocals. The production on their side of the split is also refreshing, since most Swedish bands opt for the very clean and bright sound, while this had a nice muddy sound that I enjoyed. I’m hoping that Evoke decides to record another full length, and really looking forward to whatever Mordbrand does next. – RLF
(http://www.mesacounojo.com/)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lobof_124
Admin
Admin
lobof_124

PostSubject: Re: Reviews I wrote for Morbid Abominations zine #1   Reviews I wrote for Morbid Abominations zine #1 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 5:03 pm

See? These aren't so bad now, even though they are brief. Smile That's not a bad thing at all though, since it gives the listener some depth whilst leaving a bit of mystery as well imo. Good job, I'll check these guys out later!

"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit." -UnknownReviews I wrote for Morbid Abominations zine #1 4290
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://shadowedregions.forumotion.com
Sunnportal
Junior Headbanger
Junior Headbanger

PostSubject: Re: Reviews I wrote for Morbid Abominations zine #1   Reviews I wrote for Morbid Abominations zine #1 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 10:44 pm

I nearly bought The Wakedead Gathering because of the drum machine. Apparently it sounds ok though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
R'lyeh Liberation Front
Junior Headbanger
Junior Headbanger
R'lyeh Liberation Front

PostSubject: Re: Reviews I wrote for Morbid Abominations zine #1   Reviews I wrote for Morbid Abominations zine #1 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 10:41 am

Yeah, it's very well done. At no point does it sound like something a human couldn't be playing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
exploding_pool
Headbanger
Headbanger
exploding_pool

PostSubject: Re: Reviews I wrote for Morbid Abominations zine #1   Reviews I wrote for Morbid Abominations zine #1 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 4:01 pm

Sunnportal wrote:
I nearly bought The Wakedead Gathering because of the drum machine. Apparently it sounds ok though.
That was my album of the year, so you know it has to be good. tongue
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sunnportal
Junior Headbanger
Junior Headbanger

PostSubject: Re: Reviews I wrote for Morbid Abominations zine #1   Reviews I wrote for Morbid Abominations zine #1 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 4:16 pm

Alright looks like i'll get it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
R'lyeh Liberation Front
Junior Headbanger
Junior Headbanger
R'lyeh Liberation Front

PostSubject: Re: Reviews I wrote for Morbid Abominations zine #1   Reviews I wrote for Morbid Abominations zine #1 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 10:45 pm

exploding_pool wrote:
Sunnportal wrote:

If I trusted your opinion, I'd be listening to generic Finnish DSBM. Didn't you get the recommendation from me in the first place? Razz Just bustin' your chops Heather.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
exploding_pool
Headbanger
Headbanger
exploding_pool

PostSubject: Re: Reviews I wrote for Morbid Abominations zine #1   Reviews I wrote for Morbid Abominations zine #1 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 11:08 pm

R'lyeh Liberation Front wrote:
If I trusted your opinion, I'd be listening to generic Finnish DSBM.
Everyone knows the best DSBM comes from Canada. Have you learned nothing from me?!
Didn't you get the recommendation from me in the first place? Razz
...that totally never happened. Snooty
Back to top Go down
View user profile
R'lyeh Liberation Front
Junior Headbanger
Junior Headbanger
R'lyeh Liberation Front

PostSubject: Re: Reviews I wrote for Morbid Abominations zine #1   Reviews I wrote for Morbid Abominations zine #1 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 11:53 pm

exploding_pool wrote:

Didn't you get the recommendation from me in the first place? Razz
...that totally never happened. Snooty

You're delusional. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Faustian
Faustian

PostSubject: Re: Reviews I wrote for Morbid Abominations zine #1   Reviews I wrote for Morbid Abominations zine #1 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 10:41 am

exploding_pool wrote:
Everyone knows the best DSBM comes from Canada.
Sad The shame, the everlasting shame...

EDIT: this is Xavier, in the event you couldn't tell for yourself...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
R'lyeh Liberation Front
Junior Headbanger
Junior Headbanger
R'lyeh Liberation Front

PostSubject: Re: Reviews I wrote for Morbid Abominations zine #1   Reviews I wrote for Morbid Abominations zine #1 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 10:44 am

You guys also make the best in several other genres, so it evens out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vindicated_Killer
Junior Headbanger
Junior Headbanger
Vindicated_Killer

PostSubject: Re: Reviews I wrote for Morbid Abominations zine #1   Reviews I wrote for Morbid Abominations zine #1 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 11:09 am

Faustian wrote:
exploding_pool wrote:
Everyone knows the best DSBM comes from Canada.
Sad The shame, the everlasting shame...

EDIT: this is Xavier, in the event you couldn't tell for yourself...

Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sunnportal
Junior Headbanger
Junior Headbanger

PostSubject: Re: Reviews I wrote for Morbid Abominations zine #1   Reviews I wrote for Morbid Abominations zine #1 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 10:08 pm

exploding_pool wrote:
Sunnportal wrote:

If I trusted your opinion, I'd be listening to generic Finnish DSBM. Didn't you get the recommendation from me in the first place? Razz Just bustin' your chops Heather.

Ok i ordered The Wakedeads Gathering last night so it better be good or you two have some explaining to do.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reviews I wrote for Morbid Abominations zine #1   Reviews I wrote for Morbid Abominations zine #1 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Reviews I wrote for Morbid Abominations zine #1
Page 1 of 1